Kenya to get improved transport infrastructure

6 December 2010

Transport infrastructure in Naroibi, Kenya, is being improved thanks to ambitious plans.

As things stand, a 15km stretch of road can take up to an hour to complete because of the congestion in the central business district of the city, East African Business Weekly reports.

But the Thika scheme is just one that is looking to enhance the current infrastructure, as the $300 million (£190 million) build will improve the highway from four lanes to eight.

"According to the Kenyan government the aim of these road projects is to make the country a commercial hub in the East African Region," the news provider remarked.

Other developments underway include the Eastern and Northern Bypass, which comes with a price tag in excess of $100 million.

Only 15 per cent of this will be financed by the Kenyan government though, with the other 85 per cent coming from China.

Kelvin Kizito Kiyingi, writing for the Daily Monitor, recently noted there needs to be transport improvements in Eastern Africa.

Category: Transport

Subscribe to our Newsletter

This week's must-sees

Interviews, article, discussions, news of the week

Each Friday, at 8PM (Paris GMT), the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA) selects for you the moments you should not miss

To subscribe:

Subscribe now

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.