Vision, Mission and Activities
The ICA’s vision is that all Africans have access to sustainable and reliable infrastructure services.
The ICA’s mission is to strive to increase finance for sustainable infrastructure development in Africa, to help improve the lives and economic well-being of Africa’s people.
The ICA encourages, supports and promotes increased investment in infrastructure in Africa, from both the public and private sectors.
The ICA works to facilitate infrastructure development in the water, transport, energy and ICT sectors, through both regional programmes and country-specific initiatives. Not a funding agency, the ICA is a platform that works to catalyse a step-change in the financing of infrastructure projects and programmes across the continent.
The ICA also works to overcome technical and political challenges to building more infrastructure, and it helps to improve understanding of Africa’s infrastructure development needs through the provision of better information.
- The establishment of a Project Preparation Facilities Network to help address problems associated with project preparation, and a study on best practice and lessons learnt in co-ordinating project co-financing, information sharing and resource mobilisation;
- The publication of key knowledge products, including the annual flagship report, Infrastructure Financing Trends in Africa 2014, which monitors resource flows to infrastructure;
- The publication, in partnership with the AfDB, of a Financial Structuring Plan to assist the Regional Economic Communities, national governments and other project sponsors to access finance for infrastructure development;
- The establishment of an information-sharing database, holding and publishing documentation in the key infrastructure sectors;
- The updating of its One-Stop Border Posts Sourcebook, to include current best practice and lessons learned since the first edition was published in 2011.