'Thousands to benefit' from clean water project in Tanzania

25 January 2010

A new water project in the Tanzanian village of Muungano received praise at its inauguration this weekend after its successful execution promised to bring clean and affordable drinking water to its 4,600 residents.

Some Sh181.8 million was spent on the construction of an eight km water pipe network, a 50 cubic-metres reservoir tank and the installation of ten community domestic water points.

The EU's Water Facility Project contributed 75 per cent of the funding, with the local community offering up the remaining 25 per cent.

Mtera member of parliament John Malecela said the project would only be complete with appropriate capacity building to help make sure the town was able to develop and manage water supplies.

The Lay Volunteer International Association is in charge of this aspect.

Tanzania is also currently attempting, with the help of international donors, to see its Great Ruaha river preserved and protected through a sustainable development scheme.

WWF recently called attention to the impact this project would have on the six million people living in this area.

Category: Water

Subscribe to our Newsletter

This week's must-sees

Interviews, article, discussions, news of the week

Each Friday, at 8PM (Paris GMT), the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA) selects for you the moments you should not miss

To subscribe: p.wolmer@afdb.org

Subscribe now

You are currently offline. Some pages or content may fail to load.