ICA and AfDB to participate in World Water Week, 26-31 August 2012 in Stockholm
27 August 2012
WORLD WATER WEEK
26-31 AUGUST 2012
Theme: Water and Food Security
The Water Platform of the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA) will join other high-profile African water organizations next week in Stockholm, Sweden to participate in World Water Week, held from August 26th to 31st.
The overall theme of this year's meeting is 'Water and Food Security', and ICA's water financing expert, Sonja Hoess will participate in the special Africa Focus Day, scheduled Tuesday, August 28th. Hoess’s presentation on project preparation and mobilization of financing forms part of Session 3 focusing on “Africa in 2040 – Water as a Catalyst for Pan African Integration and Development”. Sessions begin with introductory presentations followed by panel discussions featuring key resource persons in the sector.
At ICA’s request, the African Development Bank (AfDB) and the African Water Facility will also contribute to the Global Water Partnership session on regional integration. AfDB chief infrastructure specialist, Shem Simuyemba will be on hand for a presentation on the Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA), while Akissa Bahri, Coordinator of the African Water Facility will serve as a panelist.
Below is a brief overview of the seminars and sessions for the day's events.
AFRICA FOCUS DAY: TUESDAY 28 AUGUST 2012
Theme: Water Security: Opportunities for the 21st Century
SEMINAR 1 Water Security: Opportunities for the 21st Century
Session 1 Water for Growth in Africa: From Marseille - Cairo - Rio +20, the Way Forward
Session 2 Managing African Water Resources: Challenges and Opportunities
SEMINAR 2 Managing Africa’s Water Resources: Challenges and Opportunities
Session 3 Africa in 2040- Water as a Catalyst for Pan African Integration and Development
Convenors: AMCOW& GWP
- Hon. Mrs. Sarah Reng Ochekpe, Minister of Water Resources, Nigeria
- Hon. Betty Bigombe, Minister of State for Water, Uganda
Moderator: Alex Simalabwi (GWP)
- The Future of Africa-Water, Climate and Development - Alex Simalabwi
- Programme for Infrastructure Development in Africa (PIDA) - Shem Simuyemba, Chief Infrastructure Specialist (AfDB)
- Infrastructure Consortium for Africa Water Platform- Sonja Hoess ICA Finance Expert
- Bai Mass Taal, AMCOW Executive Secretary,
- Dr. Enos S. Bukuku- Deputy Executive Secretary EAC,
- João Samuel Caholo-SADC Deputy Executive Secretary,
- Akissa A.Bahri-Coordinator, Africa Water Facility (AfDB)
Session 4 Water and Sanitation Delivery in Africa: Beyond 2015
For more details, visit www.worldwaterweek.org