Call for expression of interest
10 October 2013
Call for expressions of interest: Support to Water, Climate and Development Programme (WACDEP) Project Preparation and Financing
The Global Water Partnership (GWP) is an intergovernmental organisation established in 1996 to support countries in their efforts to implement a more equitable and sustainable management of their water resources. The network spans 13 regions with 2,400 institutional Partners in 158 countries. The global secretariat is in Stockholm, Sweden. For more information visit: gwp.org
The African Union Heads of State and Government adopted the Sharm el Sheikh Declaration on Water and Sanitation in July 2008, emphasizing their political priority for water and sanitation. The Declaration commits countries to put in place adaptation measures to improve the resilience of countries to the increasing threat of climate change and variability to water resources. In response to the climate change commitments in the Sharm el Sheikh Declaration, the African Ministers Council on Water (AMCOW) in collaboration with GWP, developed the Water, Climate and Development Programme for Africa (WACDEP). For more information refer to amcow-online.org
The programme aims to integrate water security and climate resilience in development planning processes, build climate resilience and support countries to adapt to a new climate regime through increased investments in water security. A WACDEP Africa Coordination Unit has been established at the GWP Southern Africa offices in Pretoria, South Africa. The project is currently being implemented in the following 8 countries:
- Central Africa : Cameroon (in the Lake Chad Basin)
- East Africa: Burundi and Rwanda (in the Kagera Basin)
- North Africa: Tunisia (in the North West Sahara Aquifer System)
- Southern Africa: Mozambique and Zimbabwe (in the Limpopo Basin)
- West Africa: Burkina Faso and Ghana (in the Volta Basin)
The WACDEP includes interventions to support countries and regional institutions to identify climate resilient investments, enhance efficiency in project preparation and leverage funding from traditional sources of water financing and climate funds. For more information refer to gwp.org/wacdep
GWP has received financial support from the Water Platform of the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA) org to contribute towards the implementation of WACDEP activities related to project preparation and resource mobilization. Launched at the G8 Gleneagles Summit in 2005, the role of the ICA is to help improve the lives and economic well-being of Africa’s people through encouraging, supporting and promoting increased investment in infrastructure in Africa, from both public and private sources. ICA members include the G8 countries, the World Bank Group, the African Development Bank Group, the European Commission, the European Investment Bank and the Development Bank of Southern Africa.
GWP and the ICA now require the services of a consultant to provide expertise on project preparation and financing in WACDEP.
This Expression of Interest (EOI) process seeks to procure a Finance Expert for a period of up to 12 months to provide support to the eight (8) pilot countries and 5 African regions in implementing the WACDEP activities that are aimed at enhancing the efficiency in the preparation of climate resilient programs and projects and leveraging investments for water resources management.
GWP and ICA are looking to procure a consultant for the following tasks including amongst others:
- Assessment of project preparation facilities for water related projects and sources of climate adaptation funding
- Identification of bottlenecks, strategies and recommendations to unlock financing and investments for water management and development
- Support the 8 WACDEP country teams to improve knowledge on project preparation and financing related to water security and climate resilience.
- Support the initiation of project preparation in the regions and WACDEP countries
- Support to organise a Pan-African Project Preparation and Investment Conference aimed at addressing challenges and constraints in preparing water and climate resilient projects
- Provide demand-driven support to GWP Africa regions and countries in the implementation of financing and project preparation activities as per the approved WACDEP work plans
- Knowledge of water financing, climate funds and new sources of water financing including private sector involvement
- Extensive knowledge of project preparation and financing of water resources management, climate finance and related development projects
- Extensive knowledge about actors engaged in project preparation and existing project preparation facilities
- Experience of working with development banks, international organizations, as well as with Governments and private sector
- Demonstrated ability and experience in the project management for project preparation - from concept to bankability and implementation
- Flexibility to work in fast paced environment of ambiguity, rapidly changing priorities and tight deadlines
- Available to spend some time in the GWP WACDEP Africa Coordination Unit in Pretoria, South Africa
- Proven knowledge of Africa would be advantageous.
Instructions for interested parties:
The email should include the following information:
- Subject line: EOI: WACDEP Project Preparation and Financing
- Name of consultant.
- A contact name(s), email address and telephone number to send further information to regarding application.
- A detailed CV outlining qualifications and experience requested for this assignment
- A detailed EOI responding to the assignment
The deadline for submitting the detailed EOI and CV will be the 30th of October 2013. Applicants will be informed on whether they have been shortlisted for the next round in the week commencing the 4th of November 2013.