ICA Sponsors Africa Water Week
10 juin 2014
The Infrastructure Consortium for Africa, via its Water Platform which is championed and financed by Germany through the Ministry of Development and Corporation and KfW co-financed the 5th Africa Water Week (AWW5)- held in Dakar, Senegal from 26th – 30th May, 2014 on the theme ‘Placing Water at the Heart of the Post 2015 Development Agenda’. AWW5 was organised by the African Ministerial Conference on Water (AMCOW), with support from the European Commission, GIZ, African Union Commission and ICA.
The ICA Water Platform co-convened the subtheme 2 on Water Resources Management for Sustainable Development with AMCOW-AUC, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA) and Global Water Partnerships (GWP).
In that subtheme, the ICA contributed a technical session on Resource Mobilization for Preparation & Financing of Climate Resilient Water Infrastructure. The objective of this technical session was to outline obstacles & challenges and then discuss solutions for the preparation of sustainable bankable water resource management programs -- and timely resource mobilization of water resource management projects in general – as well as climate resilient infrastructure.
The technical session was aimed at contributing to the African Priorities on the Post 2015 Development Agenda which include;
- Inclusive growth through sustainable, reliable and affordable infrastructure development
- Environmental sustainability and natural resource management through facilitating climate change adapting measures and enhancing the management of water resources to safeguard quality, access for all uses
- Improve Finance and Partnerships by enhancing domestic resource mobilization and ensuring access and predictability of external financial resources and project preparation funding.
ICA and GWP provided information on:
- ICA’s research and conclusions on resource mobilization for project preparation and implementation (undertaken for the G20 DWG) as well as infrastructure financing trends in Africa (by ICA members, G20 countries and governments).
- Preliminary results of ongoing study on financing of identification and financing of WRM programmes in the AMCOW Water Climate and Development Programme (WACDEP).
The major outcome the 5th Africa Water Week was the agreement and release of the Dakar Declaration of the General Assembly of the African Ministers Council on Water on the Prioritization of Water Security and Sanitation in the Post-2015 Development Agenda - May 31 2014, which can be read here