IFC Public-Private Partnerships Seminar: Airports held 22-23 February 2011
22 mai 2011
IFC Public Private Partnerships Seminar: Airports
Overview, assessment and recommendations for improvement
22-23 February 2011
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
From 22–23 February 2011, the International Finance Corporation (IFC) hosted an educational seminar on Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) in the Airport sector in Dubai. The event was made possible with the support of Public-Private Infrastructure Advisory Facility (PPIAF), the Infrastructure Development Collaboration Partnership Fund (DevCo), the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA).
- To raise awareness and educate selected public-sector participants on different ways to involve the private sector in airport infrastructure development.
- To provide a forum for the participants to discuss issues regarding the implementation of PPPs, to share success stories, and to learn from lessons of previous experiences. PPP experiences from different parts of the world were covered in the context of presentations and panel and roundtable discussions.
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), a member of the World Bank Group, has been developing a series of systematic learning events on Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs). These learning events aim to help government officials develop an understanding of PPPs and the institutional capacity-building which PPPs require, and to encourage them to implement their own successful PPP programs in their respective countries. The series of seminars/workshops focuses on the fundamentals of PPPs and case studies from different parts of the world in the context of sectoral themes.
IFC organizes 2-3 learning events per year in partnership with other donor agencies. The first of such seminars was a one-day event held in Dubai on April 13th, 2009, with a focus on the MENA and South Asia regions and the roads sectors. The second of such seminars was a two-day event held in Dubai on November 4-5 2009, with a focus on the water, wastewater, and desalination sectors. A port Seminar was organized in April 2010 in Cairo. On February 22-23, 2011, a two-day event was held in Dubai with a focus on the airport sector. The event was organized in collaboration with the Public-Private Infrastructure Advisory Facility (PPIAF), the Infrastructure Development Collaboration Partnership Fund (DevCo), the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) and the Infrastructure Consortium for Africa (ICA). Each of these facilities and institutions is an important partner for IFC.
This report presents:
- Proceedings of the seminar, including the discussions between the participants and speakers;
- Feedback from the attendees;
- Impact that was achieved, in terms of participants’ learning; and
- Suggestions on how to improve similar seminars in the future.
Download the complete PPP Seminar report.